Sunday, June 7, 2009

Park Road-Tabor Lane Project

Okay, so I have been talking to people a lot lately about my plans and goals. One of my big missions is to see greatly improved streets in our town. By the end of the year, you should be able to look around and say, "Yes, we can definitely see some street progress."

The first road project is a big one, and I am more than excited to get it underway. As many of you know, we have two new schools going up on the west edge of town. The two city streets bordering that property- Park Road and Tabor Lane- are in no shape for the huge amount of traffic that the schools will generate. Tabor Lane especially is a concern; it is quite narrow and in disrepair.

For the past few months, I have been working with City staff and engineers to develop plans for huge improvements to these roads, and now we are about to go out for bids for the project. When we are finished, Park Road and Tabor Lane will both be 26-foot wide streets with two 13-foot lanes. This is a huge upgrade over the streets' current sizes and conditions and will definitely be appreciated by everyone driving down them.

Obviously, we need some extra land to widen these roads so drastically, but I have some good news: we don't need to expand into any homeowners' yards or properties. I went to the school board, and they graciously granted the City a 30-foot easement for this major project.

All of us at the City are doing our best to keep this project moving, and you can bet that I will let you know when we have accepted a bid and when we are getting the project started. Our first priority will be Park Road, since the elementary school opens in August and its entrance faces that street.

This project is a major undertaking, and I need your patience and your support. It won't be completed overnight, but when finished, these are going to be two great roadways for the people of Chico. It is just one project, but it is a step in the right direction.

As always, if you have questions, ask away.

Take care, and have a good week!

1 comment:

  1. I really hope the city has looked at the drainage over/around the road. I live in the subdivision below the road and my property is flooded at least once a year. I fear that this will be become more common now that the land where the schools are being built have been cleared of the vegetation that somewhat absorbed or at least slowed down the water when it rains. The water gets funneled down the center drainage channel and the outflow past Oakwood Street is not adequate.

    ReplyDelete